Article supplied by global expat network Angloinfo

 Once registered with social security, a certificate entitling medical assistance is issued. This document can be used to apply for a health card (Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual – TSI) at the local health centre, and once registered a SIP card will be allocated. A SIP card (Sistema de Información Poblacional) is issued to each person registered with the Spanish state health system and should be presented whenever attending a clinic or hospital or collecting prescribed medication from the chemist. Social security pays a percentage of the cost of treatment and hospitalisation; the patient pays the remaining amount. If you have an annual income of less than €18,000, prescribed medicines are covered up to 60 per cent by social security and 90 per cent for pensioners, with a cap of €8 per month. Those with an annual income of €18,000-€100,000 are covered for 40 per cent of the cost and pensioners 90 per cent, with a cap of €18 per month, Pensioners with an income of over €100,000 must contribute 60 per cent to the cost of prescribed medicines, with a cap of €60 per month.

Your Family in Spain

Spain is a country famous for putting family first. Children are welcomed everywhere and “family time” is valued and always allowed for within the day-to-day life of towns and villages, companies and communities.

Schooling and Education

State education is the responsibility of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport (Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte), although the 17 autonomous regions have some responsibility for their own education systems (including higher education).
The Law on the Quality of Education (Ley Orgánica de Calidad de la Educación – LOCE) covers the main points of the education law in Spain, which are as follows:

  • School is compulsory and free of charge for all children from six to 16 years.
  • The system includes levels of education adapted to suit students with special needs.
  • All students receive basic vocational training in secondary education.
  • Religious instruction is available but optional.
  • Special systems exist for artistic education and language learning.

The law also determines that education authorities must promote the integration of foreign pupils and develop specific programmes in mainstream schools for those who do not have a good grasp of the Spanish language. “Bridge” classes provide facilities for students to study Spanish before joining an ordinary class; however, all teaching in mainstream schools is delivered in Spanish.

Leave a Reply

© 2019 Media Fly S.L.U