Leading experts from the worlds of finance, investment, law and property bring us up-to-date with latest news, legal initiatives and information of interest to expatriates living or spending time in Spain.
Article supplied by Welex
Home Buying Guide
These are the key steps buyers should take into account when purchasing a property in Spain…
1. Seek the property that suits your dreams and economic conditions.
2. Consult with pertinent property agents and obtain advice on the property of your dreams.
2. Prior to making a down payment, consult with your lawyer, who will advise on the legal status of the property and all the steps to be followed in the process of buying your home.
4. Duly advised by your lawyer in Spain, book your property with the settlement of a deposit and signing a private contract.
5. Apply for your Non-Residence Certificate and NIE document, for any action you make in Spain with financial implications.
6. Having obtained your NIE certification, sign up to the Spanish tax authorities and obtain your digital certificate, which will facilitate your actions with the Inland Revenue.
7. Open a bank account in Spain for future direct debits supplies to the purchased property.
8. Following the terms of the Private Contract or when agreed with the vendor, attend the notary meeting to be granted the Purchase Title Deed, where you become the owner of your dream home. At this stage, in the presence of the Spanish notary, you pay the price of the sale and receive the keys of your new home. But the process does not end here…
9. Once granted the Purchase Title Deed, it is time to settle the taxes and register the property at the Land Registry where the home is located.
10. Notify your town hall that you are the new owner of the property for the purposes of settling the “plusvalia” tax.
11. Register at the Cadastral Office.
12. Notify the community of owners that you are the new owner of your home.
13. Contract the different suppliers to the property with direct debits at your Spanish bank (electricity, water, telephone, gas, alarm…).
14. Enjoy your new property in Spain… and congratulations!
The whole process indicated above can be a nuisance for you. Arcos & Lamers Asociados will guide you in this process to ensure the purchase of your home is really a dream. Avoid complications and contact the professionals at this multi-lingual law firm in Spain.
Welex Lawyers & Accountants
C/ Ramón Gómez de la Serna 23, Local 7, Marbella
Tel. (+34) 952 775 521